What, and why, do we consider great art? Join us from 6-10 pm on Friday, July 6 to see the new special exhibition In the Company of Women* and enjoy a no-host bar, film screenings, performances, and activities led by Phoenix-based women artists and groups.
*First Friday is open to the public during voluntary-donation, pay-what-you-wish hours when general admission fees are waived for all guests. All special exhibitions are included with General Admission.
Share your experience: @phxart #phxartff
• Bilingual gallery talk in honor of Frida Kahlo's birthday, 6:30 pm
• Meet-and-greet with artist Annie Lopez, whose work will be on view, 7 pm
• Art21 short films featuring Andrea Zittel, Barbara Kruger, Laurie Anderson, Sally Mann, and Valeska Soares
• Mixed media sculpture demonstration by Sierra Joy, 6 pm
• Nerd Nite PHX showcasing three super smart madame speakers, empowered by PowerPoint and years of collective knowledge on their topics of expertise
The Making of Jane Austen by Devoney Looser
A long, groovy, and discomfiting history of technology that counts human life by Jacqueline Wernimont
The Unruly, Disruptive and Utterly Grotesque Women of David Lynch by Jenna Duncan, 8 pm
• #PhxArtFF Photo Challenge: Lisa Olson, is the owner of local gallery Practical Art and is also a professional photographer. She has worked as a photojournalist and has produced work shown in several local shows and galleries. She will be on site to provide quick photography tips; you can use her tips while you explore the Museum and then enter our Instagram photo contest. Tag @phxart and use the hashtag #phxartff for your chance to win one of Lisa’s photographs and two passes to attend a future art class at Practical Art.
• A Women's Social Club inspired by the meaning of yoga, "to bring together," we gather to celebrate women! Featuring a panel of inspiring movers and shakers, each event focuses on a specific theme to guide the discussion. 6:30 - 8 pm
Angelica Johnson of RoseWax Vinyl Club
Yovani Flores, co-founder of Mujeres Del Sol
Free admission to all youth 17 and under is courtesy of the PhxArt Open for Kids program presented by the Steele Foundation from July 1 – September 30, 2018.
Phoenix Art Museum is one of five Artlink Phoenix First Friday Trolley hubs. Park and enjoy the Museum then take the trolley tour and explore all the downtown Phoenix arts and culture destinations. The Museum is conveniently located by the Central and McDowell Valley Metro Lightrail station.
Image: Erica Deeman, Untitled 16, 2013. Collection of Phoenix Art Museum, purchased with funds provided by Contemporary Forum.