Yayoi Kusama's Birthday Celebration
Join us for a birthday celebration for Yayoi Kusama! The Japanese artist and writer turns 88 this year. Wearing polka-dots is encouraged!
“A polka-dot has the form of the sun, which is a symbol of the energy of the whole world and our living life, and also the form of the moon, which is calm. Round, soft, colorful, senseless and unknowing. Polka-dots become movement ... Polka dots are a way to infinity."
- 3:00 - 6:00PM, Birthday treats (while supplies last), scavenger hunt, and photo booth. Get your picture taken in Kusama-style “camouflage” printed fabric backdrop along with matching fabric smock. This Kusama inspired mini installation pattern was designed by artist, Kyllan Maney. Maney has also created a fun re-interpretation of Kusama's Obliteration Room using colorful pom poms.
- 3:30 - 7:30PM, Make It! - Create your own composition inspired by Yayoi Kusama's You Who Are Getting Obliterated in the Dancing Swarm of Fireflies with LED lights, copper tape, a coin battery, paper and colored pencils.
- 3:30 - 5:30PM, Pop-up Library - The Lemon Art Research Library is a non-circulating research library which serves as an important resource for the community and state as the largest specialized fine arts library in the region. Tonight: learn more about Kusama, the artists that influenced her, those that she exhibited alongside, and more!
Also happening at Phoenix Art Museum tonight...
Happy Hour: 3 - 6PM
Special Palette patio menu: $3.50 beers, $5 select wines, $5 margaritas, $4 baskets of herb-parmesan fries with aioli sauce and $6 hummus with naan bread.
- *Samurai: Armor from the Ann and Gabriel Barbier-Mueller Collection
- The Propeller Group
- INFOCUS Juried Exhibition of Self-Published Photobooks
- Yeohlee | Serra
This event is during #FreeAfterThree. *General admission is free 3 - 9PM and Samurai exhibition tickets are only $5.